Recipe Time! Apricot Hot Cross Buns
Celebrate Easter by baking a batch of hot cross buns with a twist to share with family and friends. Packed with tasty organic apricots they’re surprisingly easy to make and these seasonal spiced treats can be mastered in just six easy steps with Tesco’s Easter recipe.
Serves 12 (makes 12 buns)
40 minutes to prepare and 20 mins to cook, plus proving
- 50g (2oz) butter, diced, plus extra for greasing
- 225ml (7 1/2fl oz) milk, heated until just below boiling point
- 2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 500g (1lb) strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 50g (2oz) caster sugar
- 1 x 7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- 1 tsp Crazy Jack Organic Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Crazy Jack Organic Mixed Spice
- oil, for greasing
- 75g (3oz) chopped Crazy Jack Organic Ready to Eat Apricots
- 75g (3oz) toasted almonds
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 100g (3 1/2oz) plain flour
- 2 tbsp shredless orange marmalade, for glazing
- Stir the butter into the milk until melted. Leave to cool for 5 minutes, then stir in the beaten egg. Sift the flour, sugar, yeast and spices into a mixing bowl with a pinch of salt; stir. Make a well in the centre, then gradually pour in the milk mixture, stirring to form a slightly sticky dough.
- Tip the dough out onto a floured work surface and knead for 10 minutes, or until soft and shiny (the dough should spring back when you press your thumb in). Transfer to an oiled bowl and cover with a clean cloth. Set aside to prove in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Punch back the dough to knock out any air bubbles. Flatten slightly, then scatter the dried apricots and toasted almonds, plus 1/4 tsp almond extract into the centre; bring up the sides to enclose the fruit. Knead, on a floured surface, for 5 minutes more. Roll into a ball, flatten slightly, then divide into 12 equal pieces.
- Shape each piece of dough into a smooth ball. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with nonstick baking paper, leaving a 3-5cm (1-2in) gap between each one. Cover with a tea towel and leave to prove for about 20 minutes, or until a fingertip leaves a small impression in the dough.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Mix the plain flour with 6 tbsp water to make a thick paste. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a 5mm (1/4in) round nozzle. Pipe a cross onto each bun, then bake for 20 minutes, or until golden with the bases sounding hollow when tapped.
- Leave the buns to cool a little on the baking tray. Meanwhile, heat the marmalade in a small pan to make a runny glaze. Dip a pastry brush in the glaze and brush over the surface of each bun. Enjoy warm, from the oven or toasted, and spread with butter, if you like.
To plump up the dried fruit and make it extra juicy, soak in hot water or warmed orange juice for 20 minutes before draining and adding to the dough.
Kneading by hand, rather than using a mixer, will give better results, as the gluten will be properly worked.
The warmer the room, the more effective the proving. To keep the dough warm, sit the baking tray on top of a large mixing bowl half-filled with hot water.
The longer you leave the dough to prove, the lighter the buns will be. Leaving it to slowly rise in the fridge overnight will give a richer dough.
No piping bag? Make your own by shaping a piece of nonstick baking paper into a cone and cutting a small hole at the pointed end.
For a sweeter result, try making the cross with marzipan or royal icing.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Bake the buns according to the recipe and allow to cool completely. Before glazing, wrap well in clingfilm and tin foil (to prevent freezer burn) and freeze for up to 3 months. Loosen the tin foil and clingfilm but leave to defrost in packaging at room temperature for several hours before serving. If you wish to serve the baked goods warm, place them on a baking sheet for 10 minutes in a moderate oven.
Sign up to our mailing list
for all the latest Crazy Jack
news and events
Win Crazy Jack Organic Goodies!
Send your own recipe using any of our organic products to this email:
The Crazy Jack team will pick their favourite each month.
The winner will receive a selection of tasty Crazy Jack Organic goodies, which we will send to you in the post. Get cooking now to win!