Makes 10 doughnuts For the doughnuts
1 sachet dried active yeast
30ml warm water
175ml warm milk
50g caster sugar
Half a teaspoon of salt
45g unsalted butter, plus extra to grease
350g plain flour, plus extra to dust
1Litre vegetable oil, for deep frying For the date filling
200g Crazy Jack Soft Dates, chopped
100g Crazy Jack Walnut Pieces, chopped For the Glaze
100g icing sugar
1) To make the doughnuts, sprinkle the yeast over the water in a small bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes.
2) In a separate bowl, gently mix the yeast mixture, milk, caster sugar, salt, egg, butter and flour until a dough forms. Remove from the bowl and knead.
3) Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with a damp tea towel. Leave in a warm place for 15 minutes to double in size.
4) Gently roll out the dough on a floured surface to 1cm thickness. Cut 7cm rounds with a floured cutter and leave at room temperature until doubled in size again.
5) Heat the oil in a heavy pan until a cube of bread dropped in sizzles and turns golden. Carefully slide the doughnuts into the oil using a spatula.
6) Fry for three minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove and drain on a wire rack.
7) To make the filling, place the Crazy Jack Dates in a pan with the water. Stir in the walnuts. Heat to soften and mash a little with a fork.
8) Spoon the filling into a piping bag fitted with a wide nozzle. Make a hole in the side of each doughnut and pipe in the filling.
9) Stir the icing sugar and honey together in a bowl then simply drizzle over the doughnuts for a glaze.