250g Crazy Jack Organic Soft Dates, chopped
1.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
250g caster sugar Butterscotch Sauce Ingredients:
250ml double cream
100g dark brown sugar
250g self-raising flour
2 tsp vanilla extract
1) Preheat the oven to 160°C, Gas Mark 3. Grease a 25cm cake tin.
2) Using a large pan, simmer the dates in boiling water for 5 minutes. Add the bicarbonate of soda and set aside to cool. It will bubble and fizz!
3) Cream the butter and caster sugar; add the vanilla extract and slowly beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the flour, date mix and pecans. Mix thoroughly and pour into the cake tin. Bake for 45 minutes.
4) To make the butterscotch sauce – mix the dark brown sugar and cream in a heavy pan. Slowly bring to the boil and simmer on a low heat until the cream turns a rich golden colour.
5) Turn out the cake, pour over the sauce and devour. Best served warm and sticky!