Coconut and Prawn Soup
500g pumpkin, cubed
80ml fresh lime juice
2 onions, chopped
1 small red chilli, finely chopped
1 lemongrass stem, white part only, chopped
1 tsp shrimp paste
1 tsp sugar
375ml coconut milk
1tsp tamarind purée
1kg large raw prawns, peeled and deveined
125ml coconut cream
1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
2 tbsp Thai basil leaves, plus extra, to serve
Handful of Organic Desiccated Coconut, to serve
1) Combine the pumpkin with half the lime juice in a bowl.
2) Place the onion, chilli, lemongrass, shrimp paste, sugar and 60ml of the coconut milk in a food processor until a paste forms. Combine this paste with the remaining coconut milk, tamarind purée and 250ml of water in a large saucepan over a low heat. Stir until smooth.
3) Add the pumpkin and lime juice to the pan and turn up the heat. Bring to the boil. Now reduce the heat again and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
4) Add the prawns and the coconut cream to the hot pan, simmer for three more minutes, then stir in the fish sauce, remaining lime juice and Thai basil leaves.
5) To serve, pour the soup into bowls and garnish with torn basil leaves and Organic Desiccated Coconut.
Chunky Butternut Soup
50g butter, plus extra to serve
800g butternut squash, peeled and roughly chopped
1 red onion, roughly chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1litre boiling water
1 chicken stock cube
100g Crazy Jack green lentils
120g pearl barley
Handful of frozen peas
Salt and pepper to season
1) Melt the butter in a deep saucepan and add the butternut squash, onion and garlic. Fry for 10 minutes.
2) Pour over the boiling water and sprinkle over the stock cube. Add the Crazy Jack Lentils, pearl barley and peas. Stir well and simmer for 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
3) Season to taste and serve immediately with fresh bread and butter.
Moroccan Cauliflower Soup
1 large cauliflower
2tbsp olive oil
Half a tsp ground cinnamon
Half a tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried coriander
2tbsp harissa paste, plus extra to serve
1litre hot vegetable stock
50g Crazy Jack Flaked Almonds (toasted), plus extra to serve
1) Cut the cauliflower into small florets.
2) In a large pan, heat the olive oil, ground cinnamon, cumin, coriander and harissa paste for two minutes in a large pan. Then add the cauliflower, stock and Crazy Jack Almonds.
3) Cover and cook for 20 minutes until the cauliflower is tender.
4) Blend the soup in a blender or liquidiser until completely smooth, then serve with a drizzle of harissa and an extra sprinkle of Crazy Jack Almonds.
2 onions, peeled and sliced
2 sticks celery, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and diced
25g plain flour
1.5litres chicken stock
75g Crazy Jack red lentils
Salt and pepper, to season
450g cooked chicken, shredded
100g cooked miniature pasta
1tbsp fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped
1) Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat and gently fry the onions, celery and carrots until they start to soften.
2) Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
3) Add the chicken stock and Crazy Jack lentils and bring the mxture to the boil, stirring as you do so. Season to taste, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes
4) Add the chicken and pasta and simmer until heated through. Season once more, then stir in parsley and serve.
Golden Lentil and Chorizo Soup
50g Chorizo, cubed
1 large leek, finely sliced
2 celery sticks, chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
125g Crazy Jack Red Lentils, rinsed
1litre vegetable stock
250ml white wine
Salt and pepper, to season
1tbsp Crazy Jack Pumpkin Seeds
1) Heat a large pan and fry the chorizo for two minutes. Empty the chorizo and its warm oil into a small bowl and set aside.
2) Return the pan to the heat and add the leek, celery and carrots. Cook gently for 10minutes. Add the Crazy Jack Lentils, stock and wine and bring to the boil. Simmer for 25 minutes.
3) Use a processor to blend the mixture, then return to the pan to reheat if necessary. Check for seasoning.
4) Serve topped with the chorizo and sprinkle with Crazy Jack Pumpkin Seeds.
Chickpea and leek soup
200g Crazy Jack Organic Chickpeas, soaked as per pack instructions
1 medium potato, peeled & halved
4 medium leeks
1 tablespoon olive oil
Knob of butter
1 bouquet garni
2 cloves of garlic, sliced
750ml vegetable stock
1) Cover the potato and soaked chickpeas with water, add the bouquet garni and cook for about 40 minutes, until tender.
2) Remove the outer layers of the leeks & finely slice.
3) Heat the oil and butter in a large sauce pan.
4) Add the onion, leeks and garlic to the pan and sweat gently with a pinch of salt until tender and sweet.
5) Add the drained chickpeas and potato and cook for 1 minute.
6) Add about 500ml of stock and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes.
7) Liquidise the soup with a stick blender. Add as much of the remaining stock as needed to make the soup the consistency you like. Season to taste.
Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup
2 tsp curry powder
3 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, grated
1.2l vegetable stock
100g Crazy Jack Organic
grated 3 garlic cloves, crushed
20g pack coriander, stalks chopped
2 inch piece of fresh root
800g sweet potatoes
Juice of 1 lime
1) In a large saucepan, toast the curry powder over a medium heat for 2 minutes.
2) Add the olive oil, stirring as the spice sizzles in the pan.
3) Tip in the onions, carrot, garlic, coriander stalks and ginger, season, then gently cook for 5 mins, stirring every so often.
4) Peel and grate the sweet potatoes. Tip into the pan with the stock, lentils, milk and seasoning, then simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
5) Blend until smooth using a stick blender.
6) Stir in the lime juice, check the seasoning and serve topped with roughly-chopped coriander leaves.
Sign up to our mailing list
for all the latest Crazy Jack
news and events
Win Crazy Jack Organic Goodies!
Send your own recipe using any of our organic products to this email:
The Crazy Jack team will pick their favourite each month.
The winner will receive a selection of tasty Crazy Jack Organic goodies, which we will send to you in the post. Get cooking now to win!