Crazy Jack Date Doughnuts
- To make the doughnuts, sprinkle the yeast over the water in a small bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, gently mix the yeast mixture, milk, caster sugar, salt, egg, butter and flour until a dough forms. Remove from the bowl and knead.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with a damp tea towel. Leave in a warm place for 15 minutes to double in size.
- Gently roll out the dough on a floured surface to 1cm thickness. Cut 7cm rounds with a floured cutter and leave at room temperature until doubled in size again.
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan until a cube of bread dropped in sizzles and turns golden. Carefully slide the doughnuts into the oil using a spatula.
- Fry for three minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove and drain on a wire rack.
- To make the filling, place the Crazy Jack Dates in a pan with the water. Stir in the walnuts. Heat to soften and mash a little with a fork.
- Spoon the filling into a piping bag fitted with a wide nozzle. Make a hole in the side of each doughnut and pipe in the filling.
- Stir the icing sugar and honey together in a bowl then simply drizzle over the doughnuts for a glaze.
- Makes 10 doughnuts
- For the doughnuts:
- 1 sachet dried active yeast
- 30ml warm water
- 175ml warm milk
- 50g caster sugar
- Half a teaspoon of salt
- 1 egg
- 45g unsalted butter, plus extra to grease
- 350g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 1 Litre vegetable oil, for deep frying
- For the date filling:
- 200g Crazy Jack Soft Dates, chopped
- 50ml water
- 100g Crazy Jack Walnut Pieces, chopped
- For the Glaze:
- 100g icing sugar
- 120ml honey