Daikon Curry with Lentils and Coconut Rice
- Rinse the lentils
- Peel the ginger, remove the stem and seeds from the chilli and chop both finely.
- Peel the carrot and cut into thin slices
- Peel the daikon and cut into 1cm cubes
- Add the coconut milk, 200ml water, rice and a pinch of salt to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer gently with the lid on for 15-20mins or until all the water has been absorbed.
- Meanwhile add 1-2tbsp of vegetable oil to a pan on a high heat; and once hot add the ginger, chilli and cumin seeds; cooking for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the carrot and daikon to the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add enough boiling water to the pan to just cover the vegetables and reduce the heat to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Crumble the stock cube over the pan and stir to dissolve.
- Add the lentils and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring regularly
- Add the curry powder to the pan and stir through
- Check that the daikon and lentils are tender. If not add a bit more water and cook for a little longer.
- Add the spinach, stir through and cook for 1 minute or until wilted.
- Add 1-2tbsp of water if the curry is too dry.
- Serve with coconut rice and enjoy!
- Serves 2
- 300g daikon
- 155g basmati rice
- 200ml coconut milk
- 100g Crazy Jack red lentils
- 100g carrot
- 1 red chilli
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 15g fresh ginger
- 100g baby leaf spinach
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil